fresher eating for healthier living
This is my journey on a cleanse in hopes to reverse or at least abate by food allergies.
A series of events and a few books helped me spawn the idea that I could spend a few months really restricting my diet and healing my gut to possibly reverse my current food intolerance and negative reactions.
I'm hoping to reverse my food intolerances and allergies...
or to at least learn a few new recipes, have better eating habits and feel healthier.
I've been having quite a few of what I'll call health hiccups:
- sore throats
- lower energy
- a nagging feeling that I can't clear my throat
- bad and very dry skin, and
- an overall unhappy GI tract.
I think I'm too young to be falling apart like that and imagine there must be something holistic I can do to heal myself.
I haven't really dedicated myself to a drastically different eating plan and there's a chance it can cure my ails.
75% of your immune system is in your gut... so I'll start by healing that.
The original plan was fluid, with the potential to change as I learned about my body and continued to read nutritional studies.
A few large goals were designed to stay consistent over the entire program, with a few smaller more flexible ones build in as well.
My thoughts were: If this works and my allergies to food are cured, I could continue to enjoy lots of cheese laden recipes and cocktails on this page, without the negative side effects. If it didn't, maybe I'll at least come up with some good tools to help bring my body back to a stasis after an indulgent meal or weekend.
It starts with these guiding principles
- No Dairy, Corn, Soy, Gluten, Grains, Natural and/or artificial Flavors, alcohol, chocolate or caffeine
- The first drink of the day will be Celery Juice – this is supposed to stabilize acid levels in the gut
- Eat primarily raw fruits and vegetables. Don’t feel abashed about high-sugar fruits and veggies. Drink herbal naturally caffeine-free tree (peppermint, ginger, fennel etc).
- Juice a lot – the core ingredients should be apple, celery and cucumber. Apparently this is a good mix of electrolytes to keep you stable and stave off hunger
- Track everything! Heal the gut and learn what I can about my digestive tract.
The Meal Plan
For more details on the specific meal plans, schedule, and diet plan go to The Plan Page.
An overview of each day, what I ate and more importantly, the emotional journey of changing food habits.
Day 1: Celery Juice and Raw Cucumber Pesto
Day 2: Celery, Smoothies and Cauli-apple slaw
Day 3: everything I eat is GREEN
Day 4: Why the celery juice?
Day 5: My Bounty
Day 6: Cantaloupe Carpaccio and "Lassi"
Day 7: Today we drilled a coconut
Day 10: Are we half way yet?
Day 11: A soup and sandwich twist // Dinner for my bro
Day 12: The life-changing magic of lacto-fermentation
Day 13: Finding a new fix... Saturday mornings on a cleanse
Day 14: My first negative reaction
Day 15: Will Power
Day 19: Baths are my new red wine
Day 20: The food emotion nervous breakdown
Day 21: Fettucini alfredo made with cucumber and cauliflower
Day 23: Updated Plan - Month 2
Day 24: Moving Forward
Day 27: Small indulgences - Tahini Carob Fudge
Day 31: Morning Rituals and Baked Eggs
Day 34: A new kind of pancake
Week 7: caffeine, legumes, shrooms, and freezes
Day 84: 3 months in
1 Year Later: What I Learned from 1 year of Clean eating (and living!)
TLDR... it's all about the celery juice