What’s Inside: This low carb and grain free recipe is better than take out pad thai. Fresh cucumber noodles and bean sprouts blend with traditional Thai spices and chicken
I miss Thai food!!! It’s my ultimate favorite take out.
I have it when I’m happy, sad, or getting sick. Typically, I’m a curry and Thom Kha girl, but I made Thom Kha yesterday and Pad Thai is sounding good!
Better than take out Pad Thai- and Healthier too!
Here is my clean eating take on a take-out staple.
- cucumber spirals instead of rice noodles
- fish sauce and fresh ground sea salt instead of soy sauce
- no tomatoes
- few to no chilies to reduce the nightshades
- all of the deliciousness!
I swear, this might actually be better than takeout! It was so fresh and so savory.
Adjusting to your own personal dietary needs
After a while, I learned I can handle some red chili flakes and added those in for spice. It’s still fewer chilies than typical take out, and it works for me.
However, the red chili flakes are completely optional and the better than take out Pad Thai is delicious with or without them.
The best thing is this Pad Thai recipe is quick.
I was a little scared it would take me forever to make Pad Thai, but it takes less than 30 min from start to finish.
I barely had any time to take pictures during the meal prep because it went so fast! 🙂 And I can attest that it typically takes longer than that for delivery to arrive.
Next time I’m craving Thai food and thinking about dialing the local delivery man, I’ll spend 30 minutes on this healthy and low carb version instead. My gut will thank me, and so will yours! 🙂
Better than take out pad thai low carb
- 4 tbsp lemon juice juice of one very juicy lemon
- 2 tbsp fish sauce (use coconut aminos and extra salt or soy sauce for vegan option)
- 1/4 tsp chili flake (optional- this is technically a night shade so remove if you are 100% nightshade free)
- 1 tsp salt
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups julienned carrots and broccoli half of a fresh pack of broccoli slaw
- 4 cups mung bean sprouts
- 3 cucumbers, spiralized
- 1/2 peanuts lightly toasted and salted
- 2 garlic cloves, diced
- 2 tbsp cilantro coarsely chopped plus extra for garnish
- 5 green onions, diced
- 2 Chicken breasts, thinly sliced/cubed (replace with tofu for vegan option)
- heat oil in saute pan on the stove top
- salt and pepper chicken, add to pan and stir occasionally until just under golden brown, about 5-7 minutes. Set on paper towel to dry and set aside.
- Add carrots and broccoli to the same pan with the existing oil. Stir fry ~2 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the onion, reserving some of the diced green tips for garnish. Add garlic, bean sprouts, and cilantro. Stir fry ~2 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Push the mixture to the side and add eggs. Scramble until firm and then mix with the other vegetables
- Add sauce (lemon, fish sauce, chili flake and salt), chicken and cucumber noodles. Mix well and cook 5 minutes for flavors to meld and everything to warm.
- Plate. Garnish with cilantro, green onions, and toasted peanuts.
- Serve and Enjoy!