My office just became a associated with a CSA program! For those of you who aren’t familiar, that is a local group of farmers that put together boxes of fresh produce at a very good price. The deal is you pay for a box and then you get whatever the farmers have an abundance of. It's basically like getting a bunch of homegrown garden vegetables without having to do any of the gardening - which is great for the travelers of the world and those with black thumbs. I happen to fall into both of those categories 😉Typically there is a ton of food in the boxes so we split one box amongst our team. That way everybody gets a little bit and it's less likely some of the food goes bad. 🙂 And since I travel for work and I'm not taking zucchini and egg on the airplane, I need to use ALL of my share within 2 days!This week we got blueberries, raspberries, 2 packs of strawberries, golden potatoes, zucchini, greens beans, dill and cilantro. I also ordered a dozen farm fresh eggs, because I'd much prefer farm fresh than grocery store eggs! 🙂
Looking at the beautiful bounty, all I could think of was hash! Fresh veggie and potato hash with farm-fresh eggs on top 🙂 This is a simple and easy recipe with just a few ingredients. And the best part is you can sub in any vegetables you have. The key is to have the potatoes as the base and a few spices.
- potatoes, yukon gold, 4 small
- green beans, 2 handfuls
- zuchinni, 1 medium
- dill, fresh, about 5-7 sprigs
- almonds, marcona, 1/8 cup (optional)
- salt, 1 tsp
- pepper, 2 twists
- thyme, a dash (can sub for other herbs, like extra italian seasoning, chive, marjoram)
- italian seasoning, 2 dashes (can sub for other herbs)
- olive oil, 1/2 tbsp + 1/2 tbsp
- water, 1/2 cup
- avocado (optional)
- spiralizer (optional)
- add about 1/2 tbsp of oil to a skillet and place on medium high heat
- dice the potatoes and add to skillet. Stir so they are evenly coated with oil and stir in spices (salt, pepper, thyme, italian seasoning)
- while the potatoes cook wash and cut the green beans into 1" strips
- after about 5 minutes, or when potatoes are slightly softened and lightly browned, add green beans to pan. Add water, stir and cover. These will simmer another 5 minutes or until the potatoes are softened
- while potatoes and green beans are cooking, spiralize and cut or julienne the zucchini.
- remove dill form the stems and coarsely chop
- when potatoes are soft, add in the zucchini and dill. If you are adding almonds, add them now
- cook eggs however you prefer - I prefer over easy, poached or sunny side up in hash
- plate the hash and top with cooked eggs. If you are using avocado, add this to the side.
- serve and enjoy!