Celery is one of those things that can sit in the fridge for seemingly ever, waiting for that next homemade soup or Waldorf salad to wisp into your meal plan. That is of course unless you juice it. Then it disappears quickly. But if not, how long IS celery good for in the fridge?
How long does celery last?
Celery, on average, is good for 3-4 weeks in the fridge when Raw. That all assumes 3-4 weeks after the purchase date, so if you grow and harvest it yourself, it might last a little longer.
Once you cook celery, it’s good for about a week. And if you buy prepackaged celery in little tubs at the market, those usually only last a few days.
The best celery to buy?
The best bang for your buck is the whole head of celery. If possible, buy organic because celery is one of the crops with highest pesticide use.
How do you know if celery is off?
When celery goes bad, it goes limp and soft. You might even notice a faint white coloring on it. People tend to refer to this as the celery becoming hallow.
You definitely won’t notice the typical crunch celery is supposed to give when you break the stalks or ribs.
So how to keep celery the longest?
Store it in a hydrated place with air flow. The two most common reason celery goes bad is that it dehydrates or it lets out too much ethylene.
You could, alternatively, store the celery in a bag or foil with a moist paper towel. You can usually get by with just a paper towel or the celery keeper, and save a little plastic and foil.
What if it’s (almost) too late?
Sometimes life just gets ahead of us and we forget to put the damp paper in the vegetable drawer to preserve the celery. Or we go out to eat and don’t use it up as planned.
A few good ideas on what to do with your aging celery:
- If you really crave fresh celery, soak the stalks in some ice water. They should crispen up
- Use it for a broth! Celery flavors excellently and is good for any meat or vegetable broth.
- Juice it – celery juice is a great way to get a big dose of gut-healing mineral salts.
- Dice and freeze for a future roux, curry, stir-fry or soup. In the freezer, celery is good for nearly 8 months. However, it will be devoid of structure at that point and is best for cooking, not juicing.
- Add it to another juice or smoothie, like this one from Rosemary and Rye
Green juice time! I can use all the veggies I can get to get myself back to 💯 after this last week! Super Green Juice (serves 2): 2 Granny Smith Apples 1 Banana 1 stalk Celery 1 tbsp Ginger 1 tsp Turmeric 2 cups Spinach 1/2 cup of Apple Juice Thanks to Kimberly of @thelittleplantation for challenging me to get out of my comfort zone with photos! It’s hard enough to be behind the camera, much more difficult when you’re also the one in front of it! #foodphotoinsta . . . . . #greenjuice #smoothie #drinkyourgreens #healthy #eatclean #greens #leafygreens #greensmoothie #vegetables #fruits #nutrients
Recap: how long is celery good for?
- 3-4 weeks after purchase date in the fridge
- 1 week after cooking
- a few days if purchased pre-chopped and pre-packaged.
How to store Celery Correctly for longer shelf life?
- keep moist with air flow
- buy organic