I’m in a whole new world! A world full of cooked foods that is… and it’s Amazing! 🙂 After a few weeks of just raw fruits and veggies, you have no idea how delicious cooked food can be! I love everything about it, including this dish, which is also amazing! This Fettuccini Alfredo ala cukes and cauli recipe will definitely be in the regular rotation. It’s a much healthier twist on a traditional pasta recipe. Instead of glutinous pasta noodles, I use easy to digest and nutritious cucumber noodles. Instead of a caloric, rue-based sauce, I used bone broth and cauliflower.
Who would have thought that cucumbers and cauliflower could end up tasting like the traditional butter-laden, gluten-full Fettuccine Alfredo? But it works! And I’m stoked. The cauliflower adds a creamy texture and the broth adds a very savory flavor. The cucumber noodles also hold the sauce surprisingly well. This is a great grain-free, dairy-free replacement to a classic dish.
I used homemade chicken broth for this “Fettuccini Alfredo” ala cukes and cauli recipe. It is pretty easy and quick to make: just throw any leftover herbs, veggies and chicken into the pot and boil for about 40-45 minutes while the magic happens. You can use this homemade vegetable broth recipe and add one chicken neck and back or add 2 chicken drumsticks. For this dish to have the full butter-mimicking effect it does, you need to make sure and add some salt to the broth.
Well, we for one, are hooked. The recipe is already Paleo friendly. If you have vegetarians or vegans in the house, this can be made vegan pretty easily by substituting oyster mushrooms for shrimp and using vegetable broth instead of chicken broth.
–Fettuccini Alfredo ala cukes and cauli Recipe —
- cucumbers, 2
- cauliflower, 1/2 head
- broth, 2 cups (vegetable or chicken – I used chicken)
- shallot, 1 clove
- shrimp, 1 lb (or oyster mushrooms to make vegan)
- parsley, 1 handful plus extra to garnish
- garlic, 1 clove
- olive oil, 2 tbsp
- salt and pepper
- spiralize the cucumbers to create cucumber noodles. Set aside
- steam 1/2 head cauliflower for 15 minutes, until tender
- finely dice parsley and garlic. Add to uncooked shrimp and toss to coat evenly. set aside
- slice and saute the shallot in olive oil until the shallot are tender and the edges slightly browned.
- cut the cauliflower into manageable chunks for your food processor. blend cauliflower until smooth. Add salt and pepper and sauteed shallots. Add broth 1/2 cup at a time until smooth.
- place skillet on medium-high heat. add oil once warm. once oil is hot (water will sizzle) add shrimp (or mushrooms) and saute until light pink and slightly reduced in size, about 10-15 minutes. remove and set aside
- add cucumber noodles to skillet on medium heat for 2 minutes or just until warmed
- mix cauliflower sauce and noodles together in bowl to evenly coat. plate “alfredo” coated noodles evenly on two plates. top with sauteed shrimp and garnish with fresh ground pepper and parsley.